2008-05-25

GeoWoodstock VI!!!

0600, Carson City, NV.
NevadaWolf and I set out for the MegaEvent of the year, GeoWoodstock VI.
It's a bit nippy out, but not too bad. We're geared up, I have my coffee, HT, and assorted goodies. All is right with the world as we back out of the driveway.
Through Reno. Stateline (as noticed in the difference in pavement as soon as we got to the marker). THIS IS WHAT WE DRIVE THROUGH AT DONNER SUMMIT!!!!
Now, don't get me wrong. I don't mind snow. As a matter of fact, I rather enjoy it. But c'mon, May 24??? Meh, no stress, we're on on our way to lower elevations.
The rest of the drive there was fairly uneventful until Wolf decided she wanted to not listen to me ("There's a sign that says "Pumpkin Farm"...") which took us out of our way by a couple of miles, but worked out well as we were able to correct our bearings and help a couple of lost cachers find their way to the event as well.

Estimated arrival time was 0900. With stops and a slight amount of Ca traffic that Wolf was not used to, we arrived at....

(note the timestamp in the pic)

Buzzed the Vendor tables. Said hello to old friends, made new friends. Attended a talk...of sorts. Visited a petting zoo and generally had a great time. Even saw our mascot again!


We saw odd but somewhat useful contraptions:

Saw various travel bugs (you may remember one from a previous blog entry.):

















Towards the end of the day, back starting to ache, legs numb from standing/moving all day but not caring because, after all, I was at GeoWoodstock among friends. Who did I get a chance to meet? None other than Ranger_Fox (of Whereigo fame. Google it.) and and and and AND J2B2's Mihae (Whereigo developer) who just happens to have lived in the same places I have, though not exactly at the same time. We made fast friends. As a matter of fact, were it not for Ranger_Fox and Mihae, NevadaWolf and I would not have the dubious distinction of being the last non-volunteer cachers to leave the event grounds.




This is Mihae. Notice the glazed look in my eyes. It's not due to boredom, I assure you. It's due to being up and running since 0430.

There was one and only one downside to the day: There were no hot drinks served at the event. The "official" reason is because they were planning for 80 degree weather.... so I'd only had one cup of coffee since our arrival, and I had to coerce NevadaWolf to leave the event to acquire it.

We got home at about 2330 hours or so, decompressed, and passed out around midnight. Yes, 19.5 hours non-stop movement and a total of 3 cups of coffee (one on the way, one there, one on the way home). Not too shabby!!

Until next time, Be Well.

No comments: